Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It Has Begun

After a false alarm last week, my period started yesterday and so I started my drugs today.  When I called the after hours number for the Clinic yesterday to let the on-duty nurse know, she was very helpful and knew the details of my case immediately.  I'm not sure if she was in the Clinic - I guess she probably was, because she could immediately remind me of my dose levels and tell me what day I needed to go in for my first blood test (Wednesday the 4th of May).  She also let me know that she would be at the Clinic this morning (today is still a public holiday in Queensland) for those patients that needed blood tests or other assistance, so if I freaked out and didn't think I could handle my first injection on my own I was welcome to go in to the Clinic for help.  I was pretty sure I would be fine, but it was nice to know that back-up was there if required.

So this morning I got my little drug kit out and did my first injection.  This is the needle:


You can't really tell from that how big it is, but it's about 2cm long.  The little book that came with it said I would need alcohol swabs and stuff, but none of the nurses so far have told me I do, they've just said to wash my hands.  So I compromised and washed my hands and the injection area with antibacterial soap.  I made Dave stand in the room with me for moral support, took a deep breath, and stabbed myself with the needle.

It was completely underwhelming.  I hardly felt it at all, the needle is so fine.  The area was a little tender afterwards but otherwise it was a bit of a non-event.  Still, I've done my first one now, so I know I'm capable of doing the rest.  I just have to keep it up every day until next Wednesday.

On Wednesday they'll give me a blood test and also probably an ultrasound to determine how I've reacted to the drugs.  I may need additional tests on subsequent days, and will probably need a new supply of drugs and needles (I only have enough to last me until then).  Then when they know I'm going to ovulate, it's showtime!

Yesterday I was browsing ThinkGeek when I saw this super-cute baby outfit:


I am totally going to get one of these if we conceive from IUI - it's perfect for babies conceived with a little extra help from science!

No comments:

Post a Comment