Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Surgery Booked

My period started on Wednesday so I booked my next surgery for Monday.  Like I said last post, I'm having a hysteroscopy and dilatation to try to make my cervix play ball for our next IUI attempt.  I didn't want to take any chances with recovery so I'm having Tuesday off to rest.  Monday is my day off anyway so it all works out.

In other news, this evening once most of my coworkers had left one of them came in with her baby.  I was talking to the baby and gave him a bit of a cuddle and then when I went back to my desk the office cleaner asked me when I was planning on starting a family.  Now, this dude has been coming twice a week to clean our office for the whole time I've been working there (coming up to four years) but I would still barely class him as an acquaintance: I have a chat to him sometimes while he's there but I'm not comfortable discussing personal stuff with him and I feel that he sometimes asks odd, personal questions and generally find him a little bit creepy. So I politely replied, "I don't think that's any of your business."  Then he got quite shirty with me for getting so "offended" and kept pushing and pushing, going on about how obviously I liked kids but if I'm that offended then he won't ask again, etc etc.  I kind of just ignored him because I was actually really upset.  I find it hard to be around babies anyway so I was already feeling a bit down, and to be blindsided with that question when I'm preparing for surgery to continue our fertility treatment was pretty hard for me to handle.

Afterwards though there was this little voice in my head that was telling me I over-reacted.  I guess it's so ingrained in me (and possibly in many women) to not rock the boat or offend people (especially men) that I really was starting to feel that I was the one out of line, not him.  After a general enquiry on Twitter though I was reassured that my firm yet polite reply was perfectly fine and that his reaction was his problem, not mine - thanks to everyone who replied and supported me, far too many to list you all, but particularly @katagal because I shamelessly stole your wording for this post :)

Anyway, this post has been kind of rambly and point-lacking.  I will update again next week after my surgery is done!

1 comment:

  1. Steal away, glad I could help you realise you were quite in the right in your reaction

    ReplyDelete